Day 20 Here is the NaPoWriMo prompt from Day 20. (As always, the prompt is optional). “Today I challenge you to write a poem that uses at least five of the following words:”
owl generator abscond upwind squander clove
miraculous dunderhead cyclops willowy mercurial
seaweed gutter non-pareil artillery salt curl ego
rodomontade elusive twice ghost cheese cowbird
truffle svelte quahog bilious
I managed to use 14 of the words, I think, in this poem. It was the word clove that inspired me to write about a bakery.
A Nonpareil of Tarts
I wandered aimless,
upwind of the bakery this morning, startled
as the door swung open sending the scent
of pies hot from the oven wafting on the breeze.
A squander of clove and cinnamon, fresh apples!
In the window, a nonpareil of tarts, muffins,
and miraculous cakes, each topped with a curl
of fine chocolate.
I passed by twice,
trying to imagine the tastes, elusive in memory, each but a ghost
upon the tongue. I tossed intention in the gutter, turned in defiant
scorn at an ego demanding a svelte body when just steps away
the prize of salty cheese bread, chocolate torte, cranberry tart,
and yes, that apple pie!
Carol A. Stephen
April 20, 2013
- Poem: “Ego” (Poetry Form: “Tanka”) (njpoems.wordpress.com)
- NaPoWriMo 2013 – Day 20 – Quahog Nonsense. (wordyrappinghood.wordpress.com)
- Usurping (flickerfantasies.wordpress.com)
- Poetry Challenge: #19: SALT (micheledacosta.wordpress.com)
- Xx. (helenarollason.wordpress.com)
- Day 20 of April Poetry – Ten to Go (2voices1song.com)
- Common Chaos [Poetry: Anytime, Anyplace…] (rhymenreview.wordpress.com)
- Seaweed Salt ~ Postcard with Haiku for NaPoWriMo Day 20 (19planets.wordpress.com)